May 24, 2010

Compression Stockings 101

So far compression stockings have provided the most relief for my symptoms out of everything I have tried. The good news is, compression stockings are a totally med-free way to minimize dysautonomia symptoms. Personally, I wear knee-high, firm toeless compression stockings by the brand Jobst on a daily basis courtesy of my grandma. I wear them anytime I want to be up and about throughout the day and take them off at night before bed or if I am just laying around the house I will also leave them off. When I wear them, I am able to be more active and less lightheaded, and my icy feet also become much warmer. I also find it helps to wear a firm sock on top of the compression stockings for a bit of extra pressure.

Where to buy:
Local Drugstores and Pharmacies
Medical Supply Stores


Online:
Footsmart.com
CompressionStockings.com

CompressionStore.com
DiscountSurgical.com
SupportHosiery.com

SupportHoseStore.com
Strengths:
18-21 mmHg (mild)
23-32 mmHg (moderate)
34-46 mmHg (firm)
>50 mmHg (extra firm)
*Typically for dysautonomia patients, a firm or extra firm stocking is recommended by your doctor.

Styles:
Knee-High (AD)
Thigh-High (AG)
Waist-High or Pantyhose (AT)
*If possible, I recommend choosing the 'toeless' option if you are prone to ingrown toenails or toe discomfort.

Best Brands:
Jobst

Juzo
Sidaris
Futuro
Therafirm
Mediven

Please give compression stockings a try. They take some getting used to as they may feel a bit tight and uncomfortable at first, but that's nothing compared to the other horrendous symptoms we endure on a daily basis. Ask your doctor to write a prescription for them as most insurance plans will cover a couple pairs per year if prescribed by your physician. If not, a good pair of compression stockings can cost anywhere from $30-$100 depending on the type you choose. But if you ask me, they are well worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I love them, and I agree one of my favorite ways to relieve dysautonomia symptoms.

    ReplyDelete