May 3, 2012

Coconut Milk Comparison and Review

Up until about 3 months ago for everyday of my life I consumed several glasses of dairy milk religiously. Along with ice cream, cheese and yogurt. It all sat fine with me. Since having my appendix removed in January, however, I suddenly couldn't digest milk anymore. But I still needed a satisfying drink to accompany my cookies. Soy milk and rice milk are both fine (I personally think almond milk tastes like play dough), but I had heard good things about coconut milk and already enjoy coconut water so I figured I'd give it a try. Over the past few months I've tried just about every coconut milk on the market and these are my favorites in terms of taste and consistency. Nutritionally they are all relatively similar to each other and have potassium, b-vitamins and added calcium. My only complaint about coconut milk in general is that it lacks the protein that dairy milk has going for it.

Favorite Perishable Coconut Milk:

A tie between,

Silk PureCoconut Milk in Vanilla




So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk



I love both of these Coconut Milks and honestly don't have a preference. I typically get whichever one is on sale or I have coupons for. I always keep it in the fridge. One of my favorite ways to consume coconut milk is to fill a glass one third full of coconut milk, another third with pineapple juice and the other third with guava juice. Tastes a bit like a mixed drink (sans the rum, of course). The added vanilla flavor lends both of these coconut milks a bit more versatility. They taste fine on cereal and with cookies, rendering vanilla coconut milk a true dairy milk substitute in my opinion.

Best Shelf-Stable Coconut Milk:

Trader Joe's Vanilla Coconut Milk



It's no surprise that I am a huge Trader Joe's aficionado so TJ's shelf stable coconut milk was naturally the first one I tried and it even made my top ten list of Trader Joe's products. It is a great pantry staple and has a creamy texture and smooth flavor but it's not as nutrient-rich as the perishable coconut milks and doesn't have quite as robust a flavor in my opinion. However it's a great backup to keep on hand for when you run out of the perishable stuff and don't feel like running to the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment