Oct 12, 2011

29 Days of Giving in Honor of Alexa Simmons



The dysautonomia and EDS community has suffered a great loss from the passing of our friend Alexa Simmons. Her positive attitude and caring demeanor has always been an inspiration. Although she left us too soon, she touched so many lives while she was with us. People suffering from similarly debilitating conditions worldwide all consider Alexa their friend. She was a friend to everyone. Although we're all still experiencing a range of extreme emotions right now (sadness, anger, loss) what I have learned about Alexa tells me she would want us to be as positive as possible right now and channel our collective energy into something positive, whether it's being even more motivated to search for a cure or just extending friendship and gratitude to one another on a daily basis. I often wish I were a gifted research scientist who could miraculously find a cure for our rare and all-too-often overlooked conditions, but let's face it, unfortunately science is not my forte. What I can do, however, is something small but meaningful and positive each day to honor her memory.



A little over a month ago I had the privilege of speaking with the author of one of my favorite books, 29 Gifts. Cami Walker is her name. Cami suffers from MS and experiences symptoms similar to what many of us endure with dysautonomia or EDS. Like Alexa, Cami is another inspiration to me. She lives each day in the spirit of gratitude and giving, even when she feels she has nothing left to give. Although I began my initial 29 days of giving a month ago, about a week into it I stopped when I experienced a minor health setback. Since then, I have been a bit down in the dumps and have not had the inspiration to begin my 29-day gift giving challenge all over again. Now I do. And it's Alexa. I am going to embark on 29 days of continuous, mindful, selfless giving in her honor. I invite you all to join me. Giving is a simple concept and does not have to be done in the monetary or material sense. Giving can be as simple as handing a Kleenex to a stranger in need or visiting an elderly neighbor. Doing what you can for someone else, paying it forward, if you will. If you would like to join me, feel free to log on to the 29 Gifts website, a supportive social network to gather ideas and inspiration or to chronicle your giving journey.

If you are able or inclined to give a monetary gift, please consider donating to EDSNC in Alexa's memory.

2 comments:

  1. We actually have a page for Alexa set up for EDSNC -- it is at:

    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/InMemoryofAlexa/scottsimmonsfundraisingpage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this Scott! Glad there is a designated donation page. I will repost on my Facebook.

    ReplyDelete