Dec 17, 2011

Bah Humbug!



The title of this blog post says it all. This year the holidays have been a bit lackluster for me to say the least. Today I definitely reached my boiling point. I have been too busy getting taken advantage of by my employer lately to enjoy much of anything. The reason I work a part time work-from-home job is because that's all I can do health-wise without being able to drive or work a regular predictable schedule. Unfortunately most employers equate working from home with being at their beck and call all hours of the day and night. I have spent a full 30 hours on my contract position this week (I only get paid for 15 hours) making calls because apparently all I am is a glorified telemarketer (+webmaster, +social media guru, +graphic designer, +full-fledged ad agency). All they really want me to do is sell, sell, sell memberships (plus fulfill all of my other roles perfectly each week with only 15 hours to do it in). I am at my wits end. When I obtained this position a few months back part of me wondered if having a stable work-from-home position was too good to be true and that the stability part was some sort of mirage...well turns out it may be. I am not sure how much longer I will last if I don't sell enough memberships. Either I will get fired or I will quit because talking on the phone this much every week has been wreaking havoc on my jaw which I had finally gotten calmed down until a few weeks ago. Now it's back into another painful TMJ flare-up from all the talking I've been doing when I'm supposed to be resting it.

You may be wondering what prompted all my recent telemarketing efforts. My supervisor had a very "serious" conversation with me about the lack of members I've been bringing in and basically gave me a warning that I need to bring in more members or else she will have to step in and do my job for me and collect the pay for it as well (leaving me out of a job completely). The worst part about this serious conversation is that she talked down to me in a very condescending way and I simply took it and said "I understand, I understand," repeatedly instead of standing up for myself and asking her not to speak to me that way all because I am so desperate to have a job for the income it brings in even though this is clearly the wrong job. It is so tough to be focusing every last ounce of energy I can muster up on a job where my efforts aren't even appreciated.

As you may know, my disability application is currently being processed. So I am trying my best to hang on to this job until then otherwise I will have no income whatsoever. So frustrating. Being sick is hard enough. But being sick and having to worry about finances is a predicament many chronically ill people are all too familiar with. I think it's ridiculous that we live in a country where we have to work so hard and wait tirelessly for months if not years to "prove" our rare, chronic and debilitating illnesses to the government so that they can dole out a a small stipend that enables the disabled to live below the poverty level and have to scrounge for every dime while they spend billions on wars overseas. The priorities of most politicians are severely skewed in my book.

I am sure this is an incredibly whiny and pathetic blog post for which I apologize. I am sure many of you can relate or know someone who is much worse off. The thing that has been adding insult to injury today is the fact that I did not receive an invitation to my cousin's wedding. The invitations were all sent out last week and I did not receive one. Although my cousin has grown into a beligerent, selfish alcholic in recent years, we still grew up together, and I never realized it until now that he apparently couldn't stand me. Or maybe its that he knows I won't buy him an expensive enough gift for his taste so he didn't bother to send me an invitation. I have always tried to include him in everything, always remembered him on Christmases and birthdays (although he has never remembered mine, or anyone else's for that matter). He shows up to my grandparent's house on Christmas day every year for about twenty minutes simply to collect his gifts without ever thanking anyone or bringing as much as a card to my grandparents who have always gone above and beyond for him his whole life. This is where his selfishness comes into play. Sure, maybe not everyone is generous by nature, but come on. He could do SOMETHING for them, ONCE IN AWHILE. I am not sure why he couldn't spare a couple bucks for a card or a box of candy to show his gratitude to them. He appears ungrateful for all the things our family has done for him. Growing up he had cars and cash thrown at him even though he was somewhat of a juvenile delinquent who dropped out of school. Yet somehow he lucked out and makes more money than anyone in the family although he didn't ever graduate high school. There is simply no excuse for him not to bring a card or candy to our grandparents on Christmas. But he never does. That kid disgusts me. He is 27 years old and should certainly know better by now. The sad thing is, his fiancee isn't much better in the social graces department.

Needless to say I have written them both off for now and trying my best not to take things to heart but it still doesn't change the fact that being snubbed by my own flesh and blood was hurtful and the damage has already been done. I am way too sensitive about things like this and unhealthily internalize my emotions but the truth is I have always felt like an outsider in my own family. At times I feel as if I'm adopted or something because some of my relatives don't treat me like family, especially since getting sick. It should certainly make for an awkward holiday if my cousin and his fiancee decide to show their faces at my grandparents house expecting their gifts like usual. It makes me sick to my stomach. If they show up I will have to go for a walk so I don't say something out of line, (even though they would have it coming!) At the end of the day I suppose I care way too much about what other people think of me and that gives them power over me. It truly is a waste of my energies to be focusing on this right now, I just can't help but have hurt feelings over this though. How much is enough? Times like this I wish I could distance myself from everyone and everything and check into a spa for a week or two...heck, maybe never check out. Find a way to live at a spa. Then my problems would be dissolved. Or at least easier to cope with. Next year my Christmas present to myself is going to be a guilt-free week at a spa.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, it sounds like your cousin's fiancee was made for him if she's as rude as he is. I'm really sorry you weren't invited, what a slap in the face! Family can be so difficult to deal with. I too worry about what everyone thinks and feel like I'm being judged for my health. As much as I love my cousin, I know her mom and other family members say things behind my back (my cousins mentioned it, but when I asked what gets said they just silently looked at each other), and I can guess what it's about. It's really difficult having a cousin exactly my age who is doing fantastically - she's the youngest in her college courses and always gets A's, plus works 2 jobs and is an artist as well. My little cousin works a job and does volunteer work, and their mom loves to brag about it every time the family gets together. She is not patient with my health whatsoever - she literally said, "I hate sick people!" once.

    Anyway. I'm so sorry about your job. Your paragraph about how messed up our society is when it comes to health and disability is so poignant, I wish I could quote it somewhere! I really, REALLY hope things get worked out. I know you do the best at your job and you definitely deserve credit for it and not to be pushed to work even further like you are. I really hope things slow down, because you fully deserve the chance to actually rest and enjoy this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, you're right she probably is. That's the perfect way to describe it actually: a slap in the face is right. Being talked about behind your back is the worst, especially for something beyond your control like being sick. It's sickening to me the lack of compassion and empathy some people have and they will never understand until they are faced with a scary health crisis themselves. I cannot believe she actually said that!!! Over the last few years I have come to the conclusion that I like "sick people" better than healthy people most of the time!

    Thanks Chanelle, I hope so too! I have really been pouring myself into this and it hurts to think that I'm not good enough because I'm not a good enough saleswoman. We both deserve some peace and relaxation this holiday season! I will be keeping you posted for sure and hope that your 6 hour journey goes smoothly along with the testing and the math class. You definitely have a lot going on so try not to let your cousin or any of your relatives get you down either. We just don't have time for that right now! Last night I was so wound up I made a list of the toxic people (luckily it's a short list) I need to try to distance myself from for my own sanity. Now that I have defined it it makes things more clear and life seems more manageable somehow. I also made a list of the people who have been there for me and validated me and wanted you to know you are on that list. I am so glad we've become friends! We have WAY too much in common sometimes but it's awesome to know that I can count on you to 'get' me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya.

    So sorry to hear about your work from home debacle. I'm quite the sensitive type as well and I understand how you can be so jarred by insensitive, condescending douche bags. Yes, I said it. Douche bags.

    I just entered a post myself and it just seems like something you may want to take a look at, in that it relates to how we decide to care for and stick up for ourselves so as to maintain physical and mental health/strength. Your cousin isn't worth one precious second of your energy. You're expecting a duck not to act like a duck. He's a duck. So the snub shouldn't exactly surprise you. He's not going to suddenly start acting like a human being. I've found that adjusting my expectations as well as my boundaries have been extremely effective in allowing me to effortlessly (not always, sometimes it's a tug) deflect toxic people and their toxic energy. I have also made a concerted effort over the years to weed toxic friends/family from my radar and now my circle is tight and very, very supportive. I highly recommend the weeding process no matter how close you may seem to someone. You know when they're toxic and being a relative doesn't excuse them from your boundaries or the weeding process. If they don't follow the boundaries, then they don't see you. It's that simple. Be done with it and make a new, healthy normal for yourself.

    Lordy. Don't get me started on the SS Administration. That's a whole other discussion that frankly, I'd love to tackle and become an activist of some sort, but the entire program is SO dysfunctional that I seriously wouldn't even know where to start. It's a far bigger problem than most people understand and it's ignored and abused because it's run by healthy folks who can't relate and do not care because it doesn't effect them. One cannot live on SSD; it can't be done. And they harass and harangue the applicant as if they're a criminal throughout the entire process and even after you've been accepted. It needs to be revamped by people who understand, live with, and/or have in some way experienced a chronic illness in order to be successful, but hello, I have a chronic illness and I can barely get out to get groceries on some days, so putting my energy into bringing awareness to the dysfunctional SSD system surely isn't going to make my list of things to do if I'm to survive.

    Check out my post. Perhaps you'll relate. If I've linked this post before, I apologize.

    http://jenjiworld.blogspot.com/2011/12/freedom-revisited.html

    Hang in there.

    jenji

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenji, I wholeheartedly agree on the weeding process and the SS front...wish I had the stamina to become an advocate somehow. You are so articulate it seems like writing to bring awareness would be a good fit. Where and how to begin is the question since the SS system is so severely flawed. I made it into the grocery store for about ten minutes the other day and I was thrilled. Truth is I think most of us with chronic illness are functioning in survival mode. Most days that's about all I can manage. I had not read your post before, but can I ever relate!!! Your words resonated with me with a strength that I can't even describe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so lovely to hear. It's always a wonderful to know that my work has connected with someone in some way. Thanks for the kind words, both here and at my blog.

    I didn't want to presume that you might relate to it, but I just had a really, really strong feeling that it might. Sorry to post a link all up in your comments. I only do so when I think it'll be meaningful in some way.

    Have a wonderful holiday whatever it may be and Happy New Year!

    best,
    jenji

    ReplyDelete