Dec 30, 2011

Bygones!



A friend of mine recommended a book to me a few years ago called 'Heal Your Body' by Louise Hay. It is a quick read, a handbook of sorts about the emotional roots of physical ailments and illness. While I am a firm believer that most physical problems are no one's 'fault,' I do believe that a lifetime of negative emotions brewing on the inside can contribute to developing a physical health problem or aggravate an existing one. Many health problems (ulcers, heart attacks, etc) are thought to be closely linked to stress. Whether or not this theory holds any testable scientific validity, it certainly couldn't hurt to let go of negative thoughts and energies that often hold us back in life or keep us stagnating in the same place.

Change is healthy, positive change is of course best. I for one, tend to hold onto and bottle up too many negative feelings and it definitely doesn't do me much good. So this year, I am not going to make a long list of resolutions as I have done in the past. I am simply going to try to achieve one: to let go of all negativity. It will be no easy feat, I am sure. But I have to give it a try. I am tired of feeling victimized by my father and his side of the family. Tired of being dismissed by certain relatives here. And of course, very very tired of dealing with chronic illnesses. I feel like I have lost touch with who I used to be: happy, carefree, independent, energetic, fearless. The old me is still in there somewhere just itching to get out, but I have lost touch with her these past four years. I would love to feel like myself again, physically and emotionally. I may not be able to get my physical health back completely, but I feel like I have at least some control over my own emotional well-being. A big part of that I think, is letting go of all the negative thoughts, letting bygones be bygones and trying to get back in touch with the real me.

What is your greatest goal for the new year? If you could only achieve one, what would it be?

2 comments:

  1. It is so interesting to me how you, Michelle, and I are all blogging about similar things as the New Year passes...getting back in touch with who we were before and letting go of an identity that has somehow become our illnesses. Our journey's support each other's. I too want to reclaim the happy, independent, energetic, motivated, social person that I used to be and bring her with me into my future. Best of luck on your quest, I have no doubt you will do it!

    Shari
    www.NotesFromTheCouch.com
    FB Page: Notes From The Couch

    ReplyDelete