Dec 5, 2011

Gift Ideas for POTS/EDS Patients

'Tis the season for consumerism. I don't know about you, but I appreciate useful gifts that help improve my quality of life. Here are a few products I recommend without reservation, either for yourself or someone else who suffers from POTS and/or EDS.

Splurges:

1) Apple MacBook Pro. Powerful enough to do just about anything, with a large, clear screen for entertainment. Portable enough to take to bed with you. The only computer you'll ever need. Mine ran efficiently for nearly 8 years after withstanding four years of overuse and abuse at university. At $2400, it's an investment, but one that is sure not to disappoint.


2) KitchenAid Stand Mixer. The gold standard in baking equipment. Save your energy (and your joints) while baking with this lovely, durable mixer. Another investment for the long haul at $250 but I promise you'll get your money's worth out of it.


3) Ugg boots. Yes some may argue that Uggs are ugly. In fact I used to think so myself. But that was before I owned a pair! I have had mine for 6 years now and they are without a doubt the comfiest, warmest footwear I own. My feet are chronically cold, but not in my uggs. And they have really gotten a tad more stylish over the years as well. Price varies.


4) Recumbent Stationary Bicycle. Although I am not thrilled with the brand I purchased, my neighbor has a pricier model in a different brand, XTerra which I love. It is much sturdier with a much smoother ride, the Rolls Royce of recumbent bikes. She purchased it at Costco for just under $800. The convenience of having one at home means I am more apt to ride it and can't use the 'I don't feel like going to the gym' excuse.


5) A Tempurpedic Mattress. Perhaps the single best investment a POTS/EDS patient can make to improve their quality of life. Do not purchase a new mattress impulsively though. Make sure you take the time to do your research and test different models out before committing to one. A comfy mattress can make a world of difference in alleviating aches and pains and helping you achieve more restful, restorative sleep. Something we could all use a bit more of! Price varies.


Steals:

1) Hot Water Bottle $10


2) Homedics Mini Massager $10


3) Omni Mini Massage Roller $10


4) Omron Heart Rate Monitor $35


5) Plantronics Cordless Phone Headset $10

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love my UGG boots for the comfort and warmth that they provide my feet with :) ...next on my list is the kitchen aid mixer and the recumbent bike!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uggs are the best! I know you won't regret the mixer and the bike either! :)

    ReplyDelete